• +389 (0)2 32 14 505
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Destination 2

Tourist destination 2: Skopje, Kumanovo and their surroundings

Most Important Attractions in the Destination

  • Old Bazaar (Carsija)
  • Tvrdina Kale Fortress
  • St. Pantelejmon monastery
  • St Spas Church
  • Vodno Mt
  • Matka lake and Treska Canyon
  • Rome Aquaduct
  • Kokino Megalithic Observatory

Destination 2: Skopje, Kumanovo & surroundings

Municipalities: Butel, Gazi Baba, Gjorce Petrov, Saraj, Shuto Orizari, Aracinovo, Zelenikovo, Ilinden, Petrovec, Sopiste, Studenicani, Cucer Sandevo; Kratovo, Kriva Palanka, Kumanovo, Lipkovo, Rankovce, Staro Nagoricane.

Municipality of Butel

Places to see: Villages Vizbegovo, Ljubanci, Ljuboten, and settlements, Radishani, Skopje Sever, Butel 1 and 2, Ljubotenski Pat

On the territory of Vizbegovo, the Skopje Aqueduct archaeological site is located. The Skopje Aqueduct is the only aqueduct in Macedonia, and one of three largest and well preserved in the former Yugoslavia along with Diocletian’s Aqueduct near Split, Croatia and Bar Aqueduct in Montenegro. This aqueduct was in use until the eighteenth century. Only about 386 meters (1,266 ft) with 55 arches of this structure of stone and brick remain. It is assumed that the aqueduct took water from the spring Lavovec (village Gluvo in mountain Skopska Crna Gora), 9 kilometers (5.6 mi) northwest from Skopje and brought water to city center.

Village Ljubanci is the second village after its picturesque location after Banjani. Ljubanci had various trees forests oak bark, beech, alder and maple-type tree, of which large and significant parts are still preserved today. Above the village of Ljubanci in the wooded area next to the monastery of St. Nicholas, there is the children's resort "Strahil Andasarov" previously used for kids summer vacations and picnics, but now occasionally housed homeless people.

Potential types of tourism: Mountain-picnics, archeological sites, monastery-church-mosques visits.


Municipality of Gazi Baba

The archaeological sites on the territory of Gazi Baba Municipality originate from prehistory and antiquity. They are found throughout the municipality and represent a rare material proof of the spiritual and material culture of the people who lived here two millennia ago.

Many churches and monasteries are base for religious tourism in this municipality. The church “St. Spas” in village Cresevo, is among the oldest churches in the area, and the rich ornaments, and especially the old frescoes and icons, dating from 1853 and 1858, make this church a valuable religious site of national importance. Of a great interest is also the Church “St. Archangel Michael” in Avtokomanda. The present church was built on the foundations of an older church from 1927. Characteristic of this church is the marble iconostasis, which was installed even when the church was being built. Such iconostasis, which is very expensive and difficult to process and maintain, is rarely found in Macedonian churches. The relief of “St. Archangel” placed on the outer upper part, just above the church door. The church's chapel is dedicated to the "Shroud of the Most Holy Theotokos", where it is believed, according to faith, is a sacred and miraculous water spring. It was built in the middle of the 18th century. In 1995, a small church baptistery dedicated to the "Sts Kuzman and Damian”, the saints and sorcerers, was built and consecrated. Within the church there are also the English military cemeteries dated from the First World War.


The territory of Gazi Baba Municipality has always been an attractive place to live since the earliest times. The good geographical location, the excellent opportunities for development of agriculture and livestock as well as the good traffic connectivity with all the roads leading through Macedonia were a magnet for more famous and unknown tribes and peoples who settled here and lived for longer or shorter periods of time. What those tribes and peoples inhabited today's Prehistoric Municipality territory will probably never be known. The reasons for this are found in the absence of almost any written material or other archaeologically relevant findings. Otherwise prehistory in Macedonia begins 6000 BC. History records that the first human settlements on the territory of the Municipality are very old and date from around 3000 to 4000 BC. The most famous archaeological site of that time, which is also one of the oldest in Macedonia and in the Balkans, is Tumba in the Madzari settlement dated from the Neolithic period. The well-known finding is the figure of the Great god-mother of Tumba Madzari.

The name of today's municipality dates from the period of Turkish rule and is related to the “turbe” - the tomb of Gazi Baba, or Aşık Çelebi, a prominent figure in Turkish cultural history from the 16th century.


Many cultural events are taking place in Gazi Baba municipality

Potential types of tourism: archaeological sites, monastery-church-mosques visits.


Municipality of Gjorce Petrov

The history of the Municipality of Gjorce Petrov dates back to World War I long ago, as a suburb of the capital Skopje that could have been reached only with the famous "small train called pampurce". The municipality was first called Hanrievo, after the French General Hanris, of World War I. During the Bulgarian occupation of 1941 It was named after Zostov after the Bulgarian general of the same name, and in 1945 after its liberation, it was named after the Macedonian revolutionary Gjorce Petrov. Gjorce Petrov municipality is one of the ten municipalities of the city of Skopje, 5 km from the city center and is located on the northwest side of the Skopje valley, between the rivers Vardar, Lepenec and Treska. The municipality has both urban and rural parts and includes settlements: Gracani, Kuchkovo, Nikishtane, Orman, Volkovo and Novo Selo. Today the municipality of Gjorce Petrov has 41634 inhabitants, covers an area of 6.693 ha (including suburban areas) and borders the municipalities of Karposh, Cucer-Sandevo and Saraj.

 Kuckovo area as known area that has many picnic places and churches to visit.

Gjorce Petrov municipality has its sights such as: “Golema Kula” -Big Tower; “Dupce” – Small Hole; “Ushi” - Ears; “Crkvishte” – Church site-Cradle; “Devojacki Kamen” – Young girl’s stone (Kuckovo); Devilish stone etc. There are a number of churches and the monastery complex St.George in the village of Kukovo. Also there are the Waterfalls in village Kuckovo.

Near Gjorce Petrov an archaeological site Skupi is situated, a city of Roman and Late Antiquity. The name indicates housing, houses. It is located 5 km northwest of Skopje, near the village of Zlokucani to the left of the mouth of the Lepenec River at the foot of Zajcev rid. The place has been known since the late 19th century. Systematic archaeological research began in 1966, which is continuously carried out with minor interruptions. So far, the walls, the theater, the civilian basilica, the City Villa (mansion), the city bath, on the street - Cardo, parts of the eastern and western necropolises have been fully or partially investigated. https://macedonia-timeless.com/cro/gradovi-regije-hr/regije/skopska-regija/

Potential types of tourism: religious tourism, picnics, wine tasting, hiking, mountain tourism.


Municipality of Saraj

The municipality of Saraj, due to its tourist position and locations, has thousands of guests and tourists every year from home and abroad. Tourist places of Saraj Municipality are:

Matka Canyon - If you are visiting Skopje this definitely is a thing to do, even if you are only there for a day. Most people think a Matka canyon boat trip is the only thing you can do, but there is more. What about hiking, medieval monasteries, rare plants, caves and swimming? For doing that one need to have an overnight in the Matka Canyon hotel. Waking up here in the early morning drinking a coffee overlooking the lake is a thing that must be done. Since Matka Canyon is only about 15 kilometer away from the city centre this place is the perfect day trip from Skopje. The canyon is a touristy place where locals and tourist love to go on a hot summer day to escape the bustling capital of Macedonia. The Matka Lake is formed in this gorgeous canyon as the river running through the gorge is dammed. The created artificial lake is a playground for adventurers willing the escape the city life in Skopje or for those tourists willing to admire the canyon’s beautiful landscapes. Matka Canyon is home to a wide variety of plants and animals, some of which are unique to the area. Roughly 20% of the plant life found at Matka is endemic and only found here. The canyon is also home to 77 indigenous species of butterfly. The canyon is also home to the most venomous snake in south Europe the Viper. The canyon's caves are home to large populations of bats. The rocks in Matka Canyon are motivating also the climbers.

The canyon area is home to several historic churches and monasteries. St. Andrew's Monastery is situated in the gorge of the Treska River. Matka Monastery, or Virgin Mary Monastery, built in the 14th century, is located on the left bank of the River Treska. According to an inscription on the church, lady named Milica found the church in poor condition and without a roof in 1497. She replaced the roof, added new frescoes, built a portico and created a vineyard. St. Nicholas Monastery is located on a cliff above the canyon and St. Andrew's Monastery. Date of church construction is unknown. First mention, was in 17th century, during Ottoman rule. Church iconostasis was painted in 1645, while western side was frescoed in 1630. Monastery was deserted in the 18th century. An arch-monk found the church roofless in 1816 and attempted to revive it, yet it was again deserted in 1897. The monastery offers a unique view high above the canyon.

Lakeside Hotel, Matka - The premium lakefront setting by the canyon walls makes this hotel a fine place for a night's rest, but it's rougher around the edges than might be expected and feels like an adjunct to the successful restaurant below. The real benefit of staying here is that you can crawl from a lakefront dinner to bed in a matter of minutes, then wake up to sunlight bouncing off the canyon walls and have the popular canyon-side walkway completely to yourself before breakfast. The restaurant is so good that Skopje residents come all the way out here just for dinner.

Lake Treska – Lake Treska located immediately after the village of Saraj on the way to the Canyon Matka from Skopje. Unfortunately, this area is not used today to its full potential. The lake Treska could have been the last jewel on the river. It is an artificial lake built in 1978 with financial contributions “self-support” from all Skopje inhabitants. The overall complex is located on 35 ha, out of which 19 ha are under greenery while the lake covers a surface of 14ha. It is up to three meters deep and has the capacity of 10000 swimmers. At the time it was planned as an ideal solution to Skopje summer troubles. The complex was however, designed to satisfy multiple recreational needs. It has elegantly designed beach areas with full infrastructure including sun protection huts, showers, and sand and beach games terrains. The surrounding green area included camping grounds, tennis courts a football field, biking and walking paths. Restaurants, cafes, ice cream and drinks stands surrounded the lake. Cicino Selo (Village) Pavilion erected nearby had a capacity of 160 beds, in two- and four-bed rooms. It had the following facilities: kitchens and dining rooms, swimming pool for children, park and small sports fields for volleyball, football and basketball. The city and the recreation area were connected by a paved road. It was a resort built to the highest standards of summer tourism industry. Constructed against the backdrop of the worsening political and economic crisis of the1980s, the Treska center did not escape the destiny of many companies which were unprepared for the market changes and therefore became unsustainable, neglected and finally closed in 1989 It is necessary to build a treatment plant that would transform the river water from the river Treska from 4th to 1st, possibly 2nd category, which is imperative for putting the lake Treska into a summer open bath.

Saraj Recreation Center - SRC "Saraj"

Vrelo" Cave - Located on the right bank of the Treska River, Vrelo Cave was listed as one of the top 77 natural sites in the world in the New7Wonders of Nature project. Vrelo Cave has many stalactites including a large one in the middle of the cave known as the "Pine Cone" due to its shape. There are two lakes at the end of the cave, with one larger than the other. The smaller lake is 8 meters at its longest length and 14.92 meters in depth at its deepest point. The larger lake is 35 meters at its longest length, and 18 meters at its deepest point. Yet the exact depth of the cave is unknown, some speculate that it could be the deepest underwater cave in the world. The cave can only be reached by water either by a boat or kayak.

The old Hussein Shah Mosque with turbe in central Saraj – is on 12 km west of Skopje in Saraj village. The mosque was built 1577/8 by Hussain Shah Pasha. In all probability he erected the turbe also, and in the records is mentioned that he built also a madrassa adjacent to the mosque.
The mosque and tomb has long been abandoned. They are simple buildings with a square base and domes. In 1955 carried out conservation works mosque and mausoleum.

Potential types of tourism: sports activities, religious tourism, picnics, wine tasting, hiking, mountain – adventure tourism, boating, alpinism, cave tourism, swimming etc.


Municipality of Zelenikovo

The Municipality of Zelenikovo is in the northern part of the Republic of North Macedonia, near Skopje. The center of the municipality is the village of Zelenikovo. The municipality itself has a very rural character and within its borders it covers 14 settlements, all of which are rural settlements.

The population in the Municipality of Zelenikovo deals with primary and secondary economic activities. The most developed is agriculture, i.e. agriculture and livestock breeding. Due to the high fertility of land in the Vardar River area, agriculture is predominantly cultivated, primarily cereals (wheat, barley, oats, rye, maize), vegetable crops (green pepper, tomato, carrot, onion), spinach, lettuce) as well as industrial crops (alfalfa, forage corn, clover). The ideal conditions offered by the hilly areas of the municipality of Zelenikovo over the last decade have re-established and developed cattle breeding, especially goat breeding, which the municipality is well known for, especially for the famous goat cheese and milk from several dairies in Taor, Pakoshevo and Zelenikovo. Apart from goat breeding, sheep breeding is also very developed. In addition to agriculture and livestock breeding, industrial production in the food industry and computer microchip factory in the village of Oreshani has also been developed.

Zelenikovo got its name because of the greenery plant (lat. Buxus, also known as “shimshir”), which is very common on the hills above Zelenikovo. From the tree of this plant are made wooden gates, beams and musical instrument as “kaval” by which are known the players who still live in Zelenikovo. An additional explanation is the extraordinarily green surroundings of the village of Zelenikovo in which there are no rocky or bare areas.

There are several cultural and historical monuments and sights on the territory of the Municipality of Zelenikovo.

Archaeological sites:

  • Near the village of Taoris the archaeological site with the remains of the ancient city of Thraceium, where the Byzantine Emperor Justinian I was born.
  • Slatina, Neolithic settlement, is located 200-300 m before the entrance to the village Zelenikovo, to the left of the road and the railway, on a spacious terrace rising above the old riverbed of Vardar River, on the right. Most of the land is arable and is owned by ZIK "Svetlost". The deep plowing and planting of fruits, the surface layers are damaged and stretched. The site was discovered in 1950, when the first excavation was carried out. Later, with the excavations in 1954 and 1955, and especially in 1974 and 1975, remnants of houses and various articles of material production, especially ceramics, were discovered. It is a larger settlement from the Middle Neolithic, with a longer internal evolution, coinciding with the settlements’ cultural group of Anzabegovo-Vrshnik II-IV. Particularly significant are the findings from the last layer of the settlement, from the Late Neolithic period, according to which a new cultural group called Zelenikovo II was introduced. The findings are kept in the Museum of the City of Skopje.
  • Crkvishte, a castell of late antiquity. It is located 1 km southwest of the village and 2 km northwest of the train station, at an elevation above the Zelenikovska River and the Dartoshama River. At an area of ​​about 110 x 55 m, fragments of ceramic pots, pitos, and building material are found, and around it are remnants of defensive walls and towers. In several places, foundations of smaller buildings and foundations of large three-nave basilica can be seen.

Also within the municipality of Zelenikovo are several older medieval churches and monasteries, including: the famous Monastery of "St. Archangel Gabriel" in the village of Zelenikovo from the 14th century, restored in 1845/46, the monastery of "St. George" and the church "Resurrection of Christ" in Zelenikovo, the churches of "St. Dimitrija" from the 14th century and "St. Elijah" from the 17th century in the village of Taor, and in Novo Selo there is the medieval church of St. Tallea, from the Middle Ages, restored in 1896.

Potential types of tourism: Archeological sites, monastery-church visits.


Municipality of Ilinden

The Municipality of Ilinden is located in the immediate vicinity of the City of Skopje, more precisely 10km from the City Center and located on the eastern part of the Skopje valley, on the Skopje-Kumanovo-Veles triangle. The Municipal headquarters are located in the locality of Ilinden.

Each year the Municipality organizes the “International Literature Meeting Ilinden”, with poets from Macedonia and abroad. The organization celebrated its 10th Anniversary in 2009. The engagement of the organization of the meeting grows every year and gives also possibilities for pupils and newcomers to present their work.

The Ilinden Municipality celebrates its Saint's day on 2nd of August – the St. Ilias Day.
There are 8 churches on the territory of Ilinden Municipality, as follows:

  • Elena and Kostadin(Ilinden),
  • Pokrov Na Presveta Bogorodica (Mralino),
  • Ilija The Saint (Kadino),
  • Troica(Marino),
  • Spas (Mrshevci),
  • Petka(In the complex of hotel Belvi),
  • Bogorodica(Bujkovci),
  • Ilija (Miladinovci).

There are also two monastery complexes on the territory of Ilinden Municipality, as follows:
The St.Petar and Pavle monastery located in Ajvatovci and the St.Gjorgji monastery in Deljadrovci.
The monasterial complex of Deljadrovci built in 1921 which includes the following churches:

  • Gjorgji-monastery church
  • Petka and St.Nedela
  • Arhangel Mihail and Gavril
  • Zlata Meglenska
  • Mala Bogorodica.

This monastery complex is a unique one in the Polog-Kumanovo area. Every year there are three large people gathering events in the monastery complex of Deljadrovci – 6th of May is the celebration of Gjurgjovden and 21st of September is the celebration of the birth of the Mother of God. Also the Municipality celebrates its Saint's Day at this wonderful location. The monastery complex also has a pilgrim accommodation as well as a restaurant with traditional Macedonian dishes. A full reconstruction of the monastery complex has been carried out in 2002 as well as reconstructions of the fresco painting on some of the churches located in this monastery complex.

Potential types of tourism: Monastery-church visits.


Municipality of Sopiste

Sopishte Municipality, which is one of the medium-sized municipalities by area, is located near Skopje, in the northern part of the Republic of Northern Macedonia. Geographically, the municipality covers the southwestern part of the Skopje valley, along the Markova Susica River and its confluence with the river Treska, under the slopes of Mountain Vodno.

Sopiste municipality has Govrlevo, one of its 13 villages, on its territory, which has a famous archaeological site from 5000-7000 BC. This archaeological site contains Archeology of such age that it is rare in the world and it is on the top of the research and discovery rankings of the scientific world. Govrlevo is the pride of the Municipality and a versatile challenge that gives a mark to the Macedonian, Balkan and European cultural pearl of the distant past in this area. According to Govrlevo's findings, the rich discoveries of old Neolithic objects, as evidence, are thought to mark the beginning of European civilization. Among the rarest objects found at the Govrlevo site are the Naked Adam (which scientists say is the only archaeological rarity in the world, one of the world's 10 most important archaeological finds and a monument to humanity) and the Great Mother or Mother Goddess. The sculpture of Naked Adam can be seen in the Museum of the city of Skopje (The old railways station houses the Museum of the city of Skopje since 1970).  These two figures are the production and symbol of fertility, the basis of life and human fundamental values for all time.

Good dining is a must in Sopiste as in almost all places around the country (Restaurant Bella, Green Garden, and Fish Restaurant "Sunny House" (accommodation, pool, breakfast, dinner).

Potential types of tourism: sports activities, picnics, hiking, traditional food tasting etc.


Municipality of Studenicani

One of places to visit in the municipality is the Marko’s Monastery - Orthodox monastery located south of the village of Markova Susica, along the Markova River valley on its left bank, 20 km from Skopje. Marko's Monastery has been active since its establishment and is active even today. Nowadays it has a female monastic sisterhood. The church of St. Dimitrija and the imposing bell tower has the central part within the monastery. The monastery is named after the popular hero King Marko.

Marko's Monastery was one of the most significant cultural educational and literary centers in the past. Books from the monastery library were literally ransacked, and many of the artifacts kept in the monastery's church were affected by the same fate. To date, manuscripts of the Markov Monastery have origin manuscripts in: the State Museum of History in Moscow (Schlud's collection), the Vienna National Library, the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts, the Belgrade Library (Old Collection) and the State library in Sofia.

Potential types of tourism: sports activities, picnics, hiking, traditional food tasting etc.


Municipality of Cucer Sandevo

The municipality as a separate unit of local self-government was established in 1996. In the vicinity of the village is the source of the old Roman water supply, which used to supply water to the Roman barracks through the aqueduct.

Sandevo's name is derived from World War II national hero Alexander Urdarevski-Sande.

The municipality is rich in numerous monasteries and churches such as St. Ilia, St. Nikita, St. Trinity, St. Arangel. For lovers of mountains and beautiful nature there is the mountain Skopska Crna Gora which offers countless trim hiking trails and picnic areas.

Every year in August in the village Gluvo a Memorial Tournament “Ljubomir Rajcevski-Rajce” is held in honor of the long-time footballer of FC Vardar. The main sponsors of the tournament are the citizens of the village Gluvo.

Potential types of tourism: sports activities, picnics, hiking, monastery-church visits, traditional food tasting etc.


Municipality of Kratovo

The town of Kratovo, located on the western foothills of the Osogovo Mountains (or the so-called Lisecka Mountain), is known as one of the oldest "live" cities in the Balkans. It has a unique position and architecture, and especially captivated with its numerous towers and bridges. They talk about the rich past of the city, but also point out its power, because it is estimated that in its maximum, sometime around the 17th century, Kratovo had almost 50,000 inhabitants. At that time it was one of the main mining centers in the Balkans, for which the Ottomans paid much attention to it. Otherwise, several rivers pass through the city: Manceva River, Baba Karina River and Tabacka River, which merge into the center of Kratovo and form the Kratovska River. Since ancient times, several bridges have been built in Kratovo, and there were a total of 17 bridges and each had/ has a specific story. Today there are 4 stone and one wooden bridge on the Kratovska River, as well as one concrete bridge. All short bridges are laid on the rocky ground. As the main building material, the stone of volcanic origin was used, which in this space is abundant. The front walls and river coastal columns that are directly exposed to the impact of the water are masonries made of hard, corroded stone, the arches were made of a carved stone with corners that were very precisely made. The fences of all bridges are made of stone, and from the top are covered with plates. The Kratovo bridges represent an appropriate expression of the construction in the Turkish period in the country. With the restoration of crafts and trade in the 19th century, there was a need for the construction of new bridges in the city. Some of the most famous bridges have been erected in this period: Radin Bridge, Grovchansky Bridge, Radev Most, Charshi Bridge, Yokshin Bridge, Swine Bridge, Saray Bridge.

The most famous Radin Bridge is located on Manzeva River and was built in 1833 on two towers, one of which is 28 high and the other 29 meters. For this bridge, a poignant legend is told that the Rada is walled in the foundation. According to the story, the bridge was built by nine brothers, but overnight, the bridge was constantly falling. So, one night they decide that one of the wives who would bring lunch the next day, to build her in to the foundations of the bridge, believing that it would no longer fall. All brothers told their wives tomorrow that they would not be having lunch - except for the youngest who had forgotten. The next day, the young Rada cooked the lunch and took it to the masters. As the agreement was, they did so. The young brother prayed, begged the brothers not to do so, begged Rada to forgive him because he forgot to tell her, but it was already late. The last wish of the young Rada was to leave the right breast to fetch the little boy. Since then, the legend of the young Rada, which is built in the foundations of "Radin Most", has been narrated. Historical facts, however, show that the bridge was built in 1833 by the famous Havzi Pasha of Skopje. This bridge is also connected with the historical event with the revolutionary Josif Daskalov, who was arrested by the Turkish asker. He threw himself out of this bridge in order not to be a traitor of the organization, and withdrew two Turkish soldiers with him. Today, small changes have been made on the bridge by the municipal center in Kratovo with the aim of long standing of the bridge.

The Grofchan Bridge is located between the Saray and the Charshi Bridge, downstream connecting the Aiduchka Bazaar to the right bank of the Kratovo River. This bridge is one of the main communication routes. It was built in the early 18th century of the Kratovo family Grofchanski, who moved from Asia Minor and was very rich. According to other sources, this bridge receives the name after the barracks that existed right next to the bridge and was owned by the rich Turkish family of Efendi Ahmed with a nickname Grofchanci. The length of the bridge is 30m, the width is 4m, and the height is 8m. Under this bridge, there is an entrance to several corridors (tunnels) leading to nearby towers, which is a real attraction.

The Charshi Bridge or Tsar Bridge was officially put into operation in 1804, renovated in 1933, and today it is placed on the coat of arms of the Municipality of Kratovo. It exists today in a relatively preserved state and connects the Shaykov shop with the Department store. And there is an interesting tradition about this bridge. Namely, around 1800, when Kratovo was under the Ottoman rule, the emperor (Sultan) personally arrived in the city with his escort. He had previously gone through Stip, Zletovo, Lesnovo and decided to visit then the prosperous Kratovo. Famous people, some Muslims, some Christians, greeted him with honey and wine, and they expected the emperor to ask them what they want him to do for Kratovo, so that it would remain some royal sign that he was personally in Kratovo. He walked through the bazaar, met the craftsmen’s of Kratovo. In those moments, a middle-aged woman passed by him, leading a horse loaded with cheese and cottage cheese. The king surprised everyone and decided to ask her what kind of a memorial she would like from the tsar to be left for Kratovo. The woman replied that she wanted a new bridge on which she would pass with the horse when she comes from the village, instead of a line of wooden beams that had existed until then. He immediately went to see that Charshi Bridge, and with fear, he passed through it to reach the neighborhood where he was supposed to sleep. It was exactly the neighborhood where he had been sleeping since then carries the name Carino (Tsar)-Maalo, and the bridge which was soon built was called the Tsar Bridge.

At the times, on both sides of the Tabachka Reka that cut Kratovo, there were 12 towers (some say there were 12 to 17) - 5 on the right and 7 on the left. Of these, today there are a total of 6, some of which are partially, but some are almost completely damaged. Among them, the tower of Stevan Simic (formerly Abedin Efendi), Hadzi Kostov Tower, Emin's Bey Tower and others are especially interesting. Historical data that will more accurately date the time of towers constructing does not exist. According to certain scientific opinions, it is considered that the time of their occurrence is before the arrival of the Turks, but many researchers agree that they were built during the period of Turkish rule, relying on its architecture and decorative elements.

Generally, the relatively small area on which the city is widespread encounters many medieval monuments. What will captivate tourists are the impressive and characteristic towers, bridges, houses with typical Old Town Macedonian architecture, many city taps, archaeological sites around the city like the fortress of Big Gradiste, near the village of Konjuh and the early Christian basilica Rotonda in the village Konjuh, Stone Dolls - rock formations near the village Kuklica, etc.

They all talk about the ancient times of this city. Simikeva, Zlatkova, Kristeva, Eminbegova, Hadzi - Kostova, Clock Tower ... The towers are a symbol of this city. In the past, there were thirteen, and today there are only six. Built in the middle Ages, prevalent in the middle part of the city, centuries have dominated Kratovo. The largest tower is the Simikeva Tower, built in 1370 by the then-owner of Kratovo, Kostadin Dejanov. Get on the balcony of this tower and experience the most beautiful view of Kratovo. Relax in a small adventure through the only underground corridors in Macedonia that are preserved in Macedonia. They connect all the towers, but also hide the most beautiful stories about the city and the characters that lived here. It is assumed that the towers were built before the arrival of the Turks, serving the more intelligent citizens at the same time for living and defending from robbers who often attacked them due to the rich ore sources. Clock towers were built mostly in the central zones of the bazaar, near the mosque, but they also have other places and were part of the larger urban complex. These are high buildings with a fourth base form. They are made of stone and mortar, with a small number of very narrow windows in the form of gun points and with iron or enclosed with iron wooden doors on the ground floor. The interior is divided into at least two floors: the lower one usually served as a warehouse and the upper one was for living. Generally the proportions of the clock towers were determined by the size of the bazaars. The tallest clock tower is located in the Skopje Bazaar.

In the region of Osogovo, eight kilometers northwest of Kratovo, is one of the most beautiful natural rarities in Macedonia, Kuklica. It is a work of art that is over 50,000 years old, created by vertical erosion of soft volcanic rocks. They are a really surprising natural phenomenon, and they were influenced by the erosion and climate changes that took place in the past on this terrain. It will not leave you indifferent and will make you visit this site. The legend says that a long tragedy has happened in the village of Kuklica. The boy, in whom a girl was infinitely in love, marries another, causing the disappointed girl, cursed them. When the wedding day came, seemingly everything was fine: the wedding guests were gathered, and the wedding began. At the moment when the newlyweds kissed, the curse came true and all the wedding guests get stoned. Petrified wedding witnesses, today testify for the anger and the pain of the unhappy girl. Among the locals, the place is known as the "Merry Wedding" because the wedding witnesses remained smiling, and the newlyweds mingled in a gentle embrace. With a little imagination, every visitor can fill in the gaps in the story, because it is not clear what happened to the girl who threw the curse. The locals say that their ancestors tried to break the curse of the girl in love, but failed. They also say that every 5 to 6 years, both in Gorno and in Dolno Maalo, the two sites that are divided by a hill, sprout one new figure. "The most striking are the bride and groom, who are accompanied by the groomsman and bridesmaid. They are the largest and look each other in the eye" - the villagers say so.

Potential types of tourism: sports activities, picnics, hiking, archeological sites visit, natural beauties, monastery-church visits, traditional food tasting, festivals / events etc.


Municipality of Kriva Palanka

The town of Kriva Palanka was founded in 1634 by Bayram-Pasha, vizier of Sultan Murat I. The name of the town derives from the curved riverbed of the River Kriva "Curved River" or Egri Dere, in Turkish. The Turkish word “dere” was later substituted with Palanka (town).

Evliya Celebia describes Kriva Palanka, in his travelogue from 1661, as a city of about 800 households. In 1689 the Karposh uprising erupted in Northeast Macedonia. As the center of the uprising, the city was free for several months. Despite the terrible consequences the Karposh uprising has had a profound effect on the further revolutionary movement. http://www.krivapalanka.gov.mk/istorija


Stanechki waterfalls - It is the place where the silence that governs this part of the Osogovo Mountains is heard. Silence "disturbs" only the rumbling of the fast and clear water, but do not worry this also has a comforting effect. If you wish to visit the waterfalls, you will need to go through a narrow path that runs past the thick forest, rocks and trees that the villagers ordered along the Kozja Reka / Goat River (tributary of the Stanechka River) in which the waterfalls end. The valley on some places is narrow and resembles a canyon, so climbing is difficult.

Stanechka waterfalls are located 9 km southeast of Kriva Palanka, in the village of Stanci, on Kozja Reka. The ambient decorates two waterfalls; one is 9 meters high and the other 11 meters. The larger, “Lower Waterfall” is at an altitude of 1160 m and functions throughout the year. Its height is 11 m, after which it is the largest permanent waterfall on the Osogovo Mountains. Under the waterfall is the pool where the water falls and strikes with all its strength, forming a large recess called the giant pot. This natural mountain complex, enriched with clear water that flows through the waterfalls and the beech forest that adorns the ambience, makes the place attractive to tourists. The waterfall is relatively accessible, and to the higher parts there are several smaller waterfalls that add to the perfectness of the ambience. To the east, the valley rises steeply to Kalin Kamen's eel at about 1800 m and further to Carev Vrv (Tsar’s Peak) (2085 m), which can be an interesting route for hiking. Some say this place is a nerve cure, perhaps it is so. This place may be the only place where you could relax and charge the batteries for the next days.

Monastery "St. Joakim Osogovski" - Once you feel the city's noise, one should visit the Monastery "Joakim Osogovski ". In these areas, at the end of XI and beginning of XII century has lived St. Joakim Osogovski. The monastery "St. Joachim Osogovski" over time, often was in the economic crisis. In 1585 was destroyed by an earthquake, and in the XVII century after the founding of the city of Kriva Palanka, it became an important religious, cultural and educational center of the monks from different regions, and the people of this region. After XVIII century which has seen as his most difficult time, XIX century brought changes for the better. Honorable merchant Hadzi Stefan Beglikchija managed to secure the sultan permission to build a new church and to restore the old one. The new church was built in the period from 1847 to 1851 and with funds that invested the guilds/esnafi (craft association), traders and other people from Kriva Palanka's region.

The construction was left to the great and well-known Macedonian builder Andrej Damjanov, who with his talent and sense of original beauty managed to create a real artistic creation. The church of St. Joakim Osogovski is a three-nave basilica, with twelve domes (seven small and five larger ones), built of a carved stone that was carried from the village Rankovci, locality Kamnesh. The entrance is on the west side, and to the right of it, at the foot of the western wall, there is a tomb with the relics of the saint to whom the church is dedicated. Inside the church there are six stone pillars and the light enters through the two rows of windows. After the damage from the collapsed rock in 1909, the church was restored, and the idea and technical solution for the iconostasis was given by Dimitrie Andonov, whose authorship is also the majority of icons on the iconostasis.

A permanent exhibition, in which the preserved monastery objects (books, icons, documents, as well as ethnological material originating from the surroundings, male and female folk costumes), are exhibited in the existing restaurant and buffet in the two of the five monastery lodging quarters.

Here you will feel the peace that the saints have found in this place. The oldest object in the monastery complex is the small church of Nativity of the Virgin Mary, dating from the second half of the XI century. The design characterizes the Byzantine style. The church is one of the first medieval churches in our frescoes in recent time. You must inevitably be here during the celebration of St. Joakim Osogovski.

In the center of the city in Kriva Palanka, in the immediate vicinity of the city park you can find the Orthodox cathedral church St. Demetrius. The church was built with great enthusiasm by the city leaders and the founder David Jerej in 1833, which is also indicated by the inscription placed above the western entrance door. Its architecture is one of the three basilica types with open porch on the west and northwest side and a low semicircular apse on the eastern side. From the south side of the temple in 1935 a bell tower was built. The interior of the church was frescoed in 1887 by the painter Dimitar Andonov Papradishki. The iconostasis is richly decorated with floral motifs and landscapes.

Mountain Tourist Center "KALIN KAMEN" is located 10 km southeast of Kriva Palanka, above the monastery of St. Joakim Osogovski. It has places for rest and recreation, a small playground, as well as facilities for accommodating small tourist groups. The place is pleasant for recreational activities, walks to famous places around the tourist center, such as Kalin Kamen peak, Kalin Kamen lakes, Vlachos’ huts and Vlachos’ Mandra, as well as Carev peak (2085m).

4x4 Off Road Jeep Rally Osogovo (Jeep Rally Kalin Kamen) is an international Jeep Rally held every year on May 24 on Osogovo Mountain. It is held in honor of Saints Cyril and Methodius – creators of the Slavic literacy and literature. Jeep Rally Osogovo is held under the motto “Explore the beauties of Osogovo Mountains” and is organized by the Association of Citizens “Auto Off Road Club Osogovo” supported by the local government of the municipality of Kriva Palanka.

Potential types of tourism: sports activities, jeep rally, hiking, sites visit, picnics, natural beauties, monastery-church visits, traditional food tasting, festivals / events etc.


Municipality of Kumanovo

Kumanovo, a city of intertwined cultures, religions and traditions, memories and coexistence. One of the oldest streets in the city where you will walk along Uk’umat-sokag (Now street 11 October), you will find many old crafts, taste delicious food, hear many legends. Here the songs and the jokes will greet you at every turn. The city of the famous comedian Batko Gorgia, whom you will hear from everyone.

Situated in the northeast part of the Republic of Northern Macedonia, at an altitude of 340 meters, Kumanovo is located at the junction of the two most important corridors in the country (Corridor 8 - Corridor 10). By population, Kumanovo is the largest municipality in the Republic of Northern Macedonia covering an area of ​​509.48 km2. The characteristics of temperate continental climate prevail throughout the seasons. The city of disobedience and revolution, Kumanovo today is a truly multiethnic center.

As a result of rich history and surroundings, many historical and cultural landmarks date back to prehistoric times on the territory of Kumanovo and its surroundings. The oldest sites are: Kostoperska rock, the Bronze Age Gradiste near Pelince village, Neolithic site near Mlado Nagoricane village, the Iron Age tumulus (Groblje) at Vojnik, the Roman Necropolis Drezga of Lopate, and the Roman Settlement Vicianus at village of Klecovce. Church of St. George (Staro Nagoricane) built in 1071, reconstructed in 1318 and the church of St. Mother of God (village of Matejce) from 1350 are the most famous cultural and religious objects of this era. From the XVII century the following landmarks in Kumanovo remain: the church of Sv. Petka in the village of Staro Nagoricane, the Exi mosque, the church of St. Nicholas, and the monastery in the village Gradiste.

Bislim Canyon is one of the natural beauties of the Northeastern region, located only 5 km from Kumanovo. The canyon itself is 7 km long and it is located between two large hills. According to historical findings, the name “Bislim” most likely derives from the medieval village that existed in the middle of the gorge and was displaced in the late 16th or 17th century during Turkish rule. The deep and impressive canyon, numerous short but interesting caves (Lishkov, Studen, etc.) and ravines, rich flora and fauna make Bislim а unique natural gorge.

Other places to visit: Karpino Monastery, Monument Zebrnjak, Kumanovska Banja in the village of Proevce, ASNOM memorial center in the village Pelince and many more especially churches and mosques.

Potential types of tourism: sports activities, adventure, hiking, sites visit, picnics, natural beauties, monastery-church visits, traditional food tasting, festivals / events, monuments, caves visit etc.


Municipality of Lipkovo

Numerous scientific studies to date have shown that the settlements of the municipality of Lipkovo were formed many years before our era, during the Illyrians. Many hypotheses have been put forward that toponyms (name of places) were used during the Dardanian and Peonies times. This is confirmed by the various clay excavations and other materials in the Drezga - Pits and Rimnik - Matejce locality. Great evidence of that is the existing well from the Roman era, as well as the excavation of two coffins at the time of the construction of the artificial lake of Lipkovo from 1951 to 1958.

Among the historical cultural monuments is the monastery of St. Mary (Sv. Bogorodica) in the mountains, in the municipal cadaster of Matejce. Built on the site of the once holy water was found, where two popular doctors worked. The construction was helped by the large quantities of gold given by Sultan Murati I, when he passed through Montenegro to Skopje on the way to Kosovo in 1389. 

The region of this municipality belongs to the confluence of the Lipkovo River and the Lojane River, which flows into the Tabanovice River, which flows into the Pcinja River. On the Lipkovo River there are two accumulative lakes: Lipkovo and Glazhnje.

In Lipkovo Municipality there are real conditions for development of alternative, rural tourism and tourism based on the water potentials, although the state of current places are witnessesинг about the underdeveloped tourism offer and the absence of organized efforts for appearance. This means that there are natural resources and opportunities for tourism development that have not been exploited so far as they should be. The Rural Development Program, MBPE has started with subsidies in this regard. Both hydro accumulations Lipkovo and Glazhnje are a prerequisite and at the same time a challenge for the development of many more

types of tourism, such as sport fishing, recreation, walking, hiking etc. In latest time, some local businessmen build beautiful restaurants and holiday places that present additional stimulus to this branch in the future, which will also have major impact in the municipal development. Until 2001 only the monastery in the village of Matecjce, was used for tourism and holidays. This is only one part of the rich list of cultural heritage, which if used properly and that can assist in socioeconomic development of the municipality but and the region.

Potential types of tourism: Outdoor tourism in combination, with sports activities, adventure, nature activities / experiences, recreation, health, visits, sports fishing, photography; Cultural tourism, of educated academic tourists and target groups with non-academic education, visit to historical / cultural monuments, testing local traditions.


Municipality of Rankovce

The village, German Settlement originates from Late Antiquity, from which period are the localities: Selishte, Manastirishte, Gradishte etc.

-The settlement Vrzhogrnci is of a dispersed neighboring type and originates from late antiquity for which evidence are the localities of that period: Blidez and Lutavchina.

Sports-recreational-fishing center Park

On the territory of the municipality there are 8 religious buildings - churches:

  • Ginovci - Church of St. Nicholas dating back to the 17th century and restored in the 19th century.
  • Opilа - church of St. Nicholas from 13-14th century unique in eastern Macedonia with elevated entrance.
  • Otoshnica - Church of St. John built in the 19th century.
  • Petralica - Church of St. George originating from the 17th and restored in the 19th century. It is characterized for this church that the Tsar's Doors are in the guest room of the Republic Institute for the Protection of Monuments and Culture.
  • Psacha - Monastery church of St. Nicholas dating from the 14th century and was built by the ruler Vlatko, nobleman of Tsar Dushan. From this church stands the bronze Horus which is on display in the Museum of Macedonia.
  • Radibush - the church of St. Paraskeva dating from the 19th century
  • Rankovce - Church of St. Virgin dating from the 19th century
  • German - Church of St. Trinity, has no knowledge of the period from which it originated

Private apartments: https://apartmani.mk/listings/vila-zerdin-dub/

Potential types of tourism: Outdoor tourism in combination, with sports activities, adventure, nature activities / experiences, recreation, health, visits, photography; Cultural tourism, of educated academic tourists and target groups with non-academic education, visit to historical monuments, testing local traditions.


Municipality of Staro Nagoricane

25 km from Kumanovo, at the foot of Mount Ruen, on the right bank of Pchinja, is the village of Staro Nagorichane. This place has historical significance, because in its vicinity the Via Egnatia highway used to pass. The stone path can still be visited. The most important spiritual treasure of the village of Staro Nagorichane is the church "St. Gjorgji" from the 11th century, which has a great significance and is a wonderful example of medieval Byzantine architecture. Above the church is the hermit cave of St. Prohor Pchinski.

St. George Church in Staro Nagoricane occupies one of the most important and highest places in the history of medieval Byzantine art in Macedonia. From the original church of Roman IV Diogenes (1068-1071) from 9th century, only the walls of the facades done from carved stone blocks, until to the arches and a very small fragment of the former fresco paintings, on the north wall of the nave, are preserved as a testimony to the rich decorations of the old church. The present church was restored by Serbian King Stephen II (1282-1321) in 1313, as seen from the stone inscription above the back entrance. In its architecture, the church is a monumental, three-nave, five-domed basilica. The domes and vaulted areas are decorated with rich ceramo-plastic decoration. The frescoes date from 1318 when the abbot of the monastery was Venijamin. Frescoes are made by one of the most famous medieval Thessaloniki painters in Macedonia, Mihajlo Astrapa and Eutychius. Along the walls of the temple are cycles of the Great Holidays, Sufferings, Wonders, Parables of Christ, scenes from the life of St. George, St. Nicholas (in the Deacon's) and St. Mary's (in the proskomidia/procomidarium), and in the calendar scenes, in the upper zones of the narthex. In the central dome, for the first time in Byzantine art, Christ the Almighty (Pantocrator) is depicted along with the Heavenly Liturgy, which will become an integral part of the painting in the later period. In the altar apse is depicted the Virgin with Christ on a throne flanked by two archangels, under which are the Communion of the Apostles and the Liturgical Service of the Hierarchs. On the north part of the altar is depicted St. George, the patron of the church, and on south is the Mother of God Pelagonitis (Enlightenment), partially displayed, the only example of fresco-icons on stone in R. Macedonia from the 14th century. Above the main entrance on the west wall, in the narthex is the usual composition Dormition of the Virgin. The donor family composition of Serbian King Milutin with a model of a church in his hands and his wife Simonida, daughter of Byzantine Emperor Andronicus II Paleologus (1282-1328), together with St. George holding a sword in his left hand as a gift intended for the king, is depicted on the north wall of the narthex, today very damaged. Mihailo and Eutychius's paintings are characterized by meticulous shaping of fotms, rich color palette and narrative representation not only of the figures but also of the elements in the space. Through their work they have proved to be highly educated artists, precisely here with this church they reached their peak in the artistic and theological sense of the word. The figures are performed with vivid movement and dynamics, and the principle of symmetry and monumentalization of characters, such as the Communion of the Apostles, especially the scenes of the life and suffering of Jesus Christ, is maintained in places. The temple is a truly rich and unique gallery of frescoes, a masterpiece of 14th century Byzantine classicism from the Paleologic era and in the history of medieval art in Macedonia, in the Balkans and beyond.

Hieromartyr St. Prohor Pchinski, Hieromartyr Cave of the Holy ProphetThe hieromartyr (small church-cave) in Staro Nagoricane is located in the immediate vicinity of the church of St. George in the central part of the village. The construction of the original church of St. George from the 11th century is related to the legend of the hermit Prohor Pcinski, who lived in this small cave. Namely, in the Zegligovo area, more precisely near the village of Staro Nagoricane, the Byzantine commander Roman IV Diogenes with his army stayed in this area and was a successful defender of the Pechenzi attacks. Hunting a wounded deer, he stormed into the cave, where the hermit Prohor Pcinjski was moving, and when Prohor criticized him for the act and told him not to kill the deer. In doing so, he foretold that he would eventually become a Byzantine king. Roman IV Diogenes obeyed the hermit, did not kill the deer, left for Constantinople and soon became a Byzantine emperor (1068-1071). In appreciation of the kind hermit, Roman IV erected a beautiful three-nave basilica in the immediate vicinity of its Hieromartyr, the first phase of today's church of St. George.

Monument of ZebarnjakIn the vicinity of the village of Mlado Nagoricane is the monument of Zebrnjak constructed in honor of the victims of the First Balkan War, killed in this place in the famous Kumanovo battle in 1912. It was built in 1937 from gray basalt stone, but was destroyed during the Bulgarian occupation in 1942. By its architecture this monument was unique in the Balkans, a work of Belgrade architect Momir P. Korunovic (1883-1969), and Mihajlo Arangelovic, an entrepreneur from the Black Trail, who did the construction work. In the Kumanovo Battle, 723soldiers from the Serbian Army were killed, 3,441were wounded, and 603 were lost. One of the battles that resolved the First Balkan War was the Kumanovo Battle of October 23 and 24, 1912. The First Serbian Army under the command of Aleksandar Karadjordjevic on one side and the Turkish Vardar Army on the other, took part in the Kumanovo Battle. During the two-day fighting in this place (Zebrnjak), the Feti-Pasha Army Corps was defeated, which was part of the Vardar Army under Zeki-Pasha's command and was forced to withdraw towards Skopje and Povardarie. The alliance of Balkan states and the victory over the Turks in this part of the Balkans means the defeat of medieval Turkish feudalism.

Monastery of ZabelThe monastery church of St. Bogorodica is located on the triangle of the villages of Staro Nagoricane, Celopek and Nikuljane, known as the Zabel Monastery, according to the forest in which it is located and belongs to the area of ​​the village of Nikuljane. It is a monumental, three-nave high-rise building with a central eight-sided dome and five-sided apse to the east. Built in 1856, it is inscribed on the dome, with beautifully worked yellow stone blocks. It is covered by a double roof with tiles. The facades are revived by openings in the form of four-leafs’ transits in lunatics (luneti) and one circular rosette on the west and east facades. The church does not have frescoes. It has a high representative iconostasis with a large cross at the top. The icons were painted by Dicho Zograf and Zafir Vasilevic from Debar in 1857. It is a typical representative of the nineteenth-century rebirth.

Karpino MonasteryOne of the oldest preserved church buildings of this period is the monastery church "The Annunciation of the Holy Mother of God" in the village of Suv Orah (Дry Walnut) or commonly known as "Karpino" Monastery. In its architectural disposition it acts as a tricolon because of the three conical apses on the east, north and south sides of the altar, which are rectangular on the outside. The church dates back to 1592 from the original fresco painting, and the second layer of frescoes is from the 19th century, when the church was also repaired. The old fresco is covered from above with the new one from 1893. The Karpin Monastery was an important cultural and literary center with a rich library, whose manuscripts were later taken to other important centers: Belgrade, Sofia, Moscow, etc.

ASNOM - Pelince, Memorial Center - The new Memorial Museum was designed according to the project of B.Sc. Gјorgјi Konstantinov, and the monumental facade mosaic is the work of our contemporary artists Rubens Korubin and Ilija Penushliski. The setting was made with ambient and authentic, as at the time when the first ASNOM meeting was held on August 2, 1944 in the monastery of Prohor Pcinjski. One of the most important documents of the Assembly are: Solutions establishing Macedonia as an equal federal unit of Democratic Federal Yugoslavia, introduction of the Macedonian language as the official language of the Macedonian state, etc. The first ASNOM session marks the beginning of the existence of the present Republic of Macedonia as a free state in federation with the Yugoslav peoples, and since 1991 as an independent state. The Pelince Memorial Museum was opened on August 2, 2004, on the occasion of its 60th anniversary.

Church St. Petka, Mlado (Young) NagoricaneSt. Petka is a single-nave structure with a nave on the northeast side, a separate narthex on the west side and a chapel on the south side. The church was frescoed in 1628, probably shortly after its construction. It is built of thicker and smaller stone. It is covered with a double tile roof. In 2003 a conservation of frescoes and architecture was performed. It is characteristic that this church has no apse on the east side, the only example in Zegligovo area. The frescoes are much damaged. Fragments of St. Petka cycle on the south wall of the narthex in the second zone above the two blind archivolts are preserved, and a series of martyrs' forms in flower cups are painted on both “voluts” of the archivolts. In the altar, in the central apsidal conch, the figure of the Virgin Oranta is depicted at the top. These frescoes are very faded. In the proscomidial conch is a saint in full growth, a faded, arch-deacon Stephen. The church is a typical representative of post-Byzantine churches.

Strnovac Bath, Geothermal BathIt is located in the village of Strnovac and is 2,800 meters from the center of Staro Nagoricane municipality. It can be reached by an asphalt road, except the last 500 meters are not asphalted. At this place the thermo-mineral waters appeared by self-pouring. Some citizens have dug a primitive pools and started bathing in it. Now, this bath is very much visited by people from Skopje, Kumanovo and villages from Kriva Palanka and Kratovo. This site belongs to the Pchinja Tectonic Trench with tertiary lime-stones that are a secondary collector of thermo-mineral waters at a temperature of 39-40 degrees Celsius. The sources of thermo-mineral water are very near to the Pcinja River itself, surrounded by willows, poplars and coniferous trees.

Potential types of tourism: Outdoor tourism in combination of adventure, nature activities / experiences, recreation, health, visits, photography; Religious - Monastery/church visits; Cultural tourism, of educated academic tourists and target groups with non-academic education, visit to historical monuments, testing local traditions.

Kokino (locality)One of the most important sites located in the area of ​​the municipality of Staro Nagoricane at a distance of about 75 km from Skopje or 35 km from Kumanovo, is the 4,000-year-old megalithic astronomical observatory of Kokino, discovered in 2001. It is ranked fourth on the list of old observatories by NASA.

Kokino Megalithic Observatory is situated on the top of "Tatikev Kamen" and was named after the nearby village of the same name. The Megalithic Observatory is located on a neo-volcanic hill. The rocks were created by the hardening of the lava, which ran out of a volcanic crater. Time and erosion made gaps, and some of those gaps were the main markers that tracked the Sun and Moon cycles and measured time. According to the findings of archaeologists at the Kokino site, in fact, there were no dwellings, but that the observatory was also a sanctuary, with objects intended for their deities placed in the rock slits. There is also a kind of throne on the site, where the elders and leaders of the tribe are likely to sit. During the discovery of the site numerous artifacts were found (ceramic plates, amphorae vessels, stone axes). The wider Kokino archaeological site covers about 30 hectares. The oldest archaeological finds date from about the 19th century BC, corresponding to the early European Bronze Age.

Potential types of tourism: Outdoor tourism in combination, with sports activities, adventure, nature activities / experiences, recreation, health, visits, photography; Cultural tourism, of educated academic tourists and target groups with non-academic education, visit to historical monuments, testing local traditions.

Contact ALKA

Center for Sustainable Development ALKA
Bul. Partizanski Odredi No. 62 1/16,
1000 Skopje, North Macedonia
Email: alka@alka.org.mk
Phone: +389 (0)2 3214 505
Sub-Project Facebook  
ALKA Facebook

Contact DeSo

Development Solutions (DeSo)
St. Sava Kovacevikj 27a,
1000 Skopje, North Macedonia
Email: office@deso.mk
WEB:  www.deso.mk
Phone/fax: +389 (0)2 32 32 290
Phone: +389 (0)2 32 31 345
FB: DeSo Facebook

Local and Regional Competitiveness Project: This project is funded by the European Union.

This website was created and maintained with the financial support of the European Union. Its contents are the sole responsibility of the Center for Sustainable Development ALKA and DeSo, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.