• +389 (0)2 32 14 505
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Destination 10

Tourist destination 10: Stip, Radovis and their surroundings

Most Important Attractions in the Destination

  • Monastery of St. Joakim Osogovski
  • Monastery of St Gavril Lesnovski
  • Valley of the Stone Dolls
  • Town center of Kratovo
  • Town center of Stip
  • Kezovica Spa
  • Ancient city of Bargala
  • Cocev Kamen
  • Vinica fortress and museum

Municipalities in Destination 10: Zrnovci, Karbinci, Konce, Kocani, Makedonska Kamenica, Probishtip, Radovish, Ceshinovo - Obleshevo, Shtip

Municipality of Zrnovci

Besides the pure and almost untouched nature in the middle of the mountain Plachkovica, a great attraction here is the traditional village with a lot of preserved style and way of living. People’s primary occupation and occupation of many families in this municipality is agriculture. Particularly characteristic is the villages of Zrnovci with its well-arranged riverbed on the river Zrnovska, the small but well-arranged park and several cafes and shops along the river bad.

With the gorge of the river Zrnovka, numerous cascades and small waterfalls on river Zrnovka with the caves and more than few ponds or whirlpools cut into solid rock (Devichin whirlpool, Kolev whirlpool, Zmyarniko, Suljov whirlpool, Virgins Falls, Gjerova cave); with the ethno house in the village Morodvis, which displays objects used by locals for centuries, the archaeological site Crkvish - the site of the former Roman city of Morobizdon; as well as churches and monasteries (Monastery of “St. Simeon the Stylite” in village Morodvis, Church of “St. Demetrius” in village Zrnovci, Monastery of "St. Petka" in village Vidovishte, Monastery "St. Tom's Sunday"), with the potential to visit the Hydroelectric power plant, the municipality of Zrnovci represents a perennial place of numerous natural and historical rarities that represents a promising place for tourism development.

The upper part of the valley of Zrnovska Reka with the valley of Lomija due to the forestation and distance from larger settlements give the impression of untouched nature. Along with the numerous mountain trails, the fresh air, the numerous springs and streams, the diverse flora and fauna, this space really is a real adrenaline challenge and a beautiful unspoiled green “oasis”.

Zrnovci is also well known for the: endemic river trout and river crab, the hot peppers known as “Zrnovski hot” and the industrial pepper from the varieties “Amfora” and “Kurtovski Kapija”, the very tasty Zrnovski leek, Zrnovski pink tomato known for its scale and sweetness, rice fields, peas, plums, peachеs, cherries, pears and ordinary plums (Dzanki).

Potential types of tourism: trekking tourism, mountaineering, geo-tourism, biodiversity, water erosion, wildlife tourism, sports fishing, adventure parks, ethno-culture-tourism, rural tourism in the countryside, cultural and historical heritage tourism, religious tourism, monastery tourism, mountain stay, hiking along the foothills, paragliding from the Turtel peak and picnics on the numerous flattened planes above village Zrnovci etc.

At moment there are no available registered capacities for overnights or longer stay. There are only potential buildings that are planned by some individuals, to be used as small capacities for accommodation of tourist. All sites, places to visit require the needed tourist markings or signs. The infrastructure buildings/facilities/connections are missing, or lacking in capacity and quality.

Handicraft: Horse shoeing; Wine and brandy production in covered cauldron on a traditional way.

Strategy for Rural Tourism Development in the Municipality of Zrnovci, Стратегија за развој на рурален туризам во општина Зрновци, 2007

Publishers: EPI Center International – Skopje and Mayor of the Municipality of Zrnovci

Some links to videos for Zrnovci:






Municipality of Karbinci

On the territory of the Municipality of Karbinci, valuable archaeological sites have been found that speak of the long history of this area. Such as the, early neolithic settlement at the site of Grncarica, near village Krupishte, with discovered stone for flint tools making, the artifacts and ceramics estimated to be from around 6,000 BC and the oldest human skeleton in Southeast Europe. Neolithic settlement was found at the site of “Vrshnik” (in the vicinity of village Tarinci) (from 6200 to 3500 BC). Also, Archaeological exhibits from the ancient period (from the 2nd century to the 4th century BC) were found at the site "Knezevska Mogila", near the village of Tarinci, and in the tomb near the village of Crvulevo. Besh Tepe is a characteristic necropolis from Roman times (І - ІІ century) where burials were done under specific types of memorials. It is located about 1500 to 2000 m southeast of the village Karbinci. In the immediate vicinity is the Roman settlement of “Anche”, so it is assumed that this necropolis was in operation for the burial of prominent military men and priests.

Spot of great importance is the archaeological site Bargala in Municipality of Karbinci that is a settlement from late antiquity and one of the most important late antique cities in Macedonia. The city grew out of a Roman military fortification. It was later demolished and with the loss of strategic importance, Bargala began to look like a civilian settlement. During the period of IV - VI century the city grew into a powerful episcopal center of Central Bregalnica area, and especially during the time of Justinian I (527 - 565) the city reached its peak. In the middle ages a new settlement was formed beside the southern rampart and the south-east tower, outside the boundaries of this site, where the church of St. George was built, at the end of the second half of the IX century. Bargala is located 12 km northeast of Stip, in the area of ​​Upper Kozjak near Kozjachka River, at the foot of Plachkovica Mountain.

In the area there are lots of monasteries, churches and mosques to be visited: St. Spas in the village Karbinci, Church of St. Gjorgji, village Gornji Kozjak, Monastery of St. Petka near the village of Kalauzija, Church of the Ascension of Christ – Karbinci, Muhammad Aga Mosque in village Radanje,

Karbinci is is mainly agricultural area, rich in various cereals and vegetables.

A place to visit in Karbinci Municipality are the Turtel caves, located just below the Turtel peak on Plackovica Mountain. They occurred with karst erosion in narrow marble rocks. Five caves have been explored so far, the longest being the Great Cave, with length of about 600 m. It is a real pearl with its cave ornaments and represents a challenge for speleologists. Smaller are the caves Kjup, Ajduchka, Turtel and Ponor, although small they are also rich in cave ornaments. Almost all of the caves listed are easily accessible to visitors by already marked paths. In vicinity there is the mountaineering home Vrteska, as a nice place to stay overnight. The caves are poorly known and promoted. Not well arranged for reception of tourists. There is no certified guide to lead a touristic tour. The caves are small (narrow) and easily can lead to endangering conditions.

Potential types of tourism: speleology-tourism, geo-tourism, tracking, adventurism, tourism of cultural and historical heritage, religious tourism.

Handicraft: milling, loom weaving, embroidery, knitting

Program for Development of tourism in the cross-border region of the municipalities of Simitly and Karbinci, 2012-2016


Municipality of Konce

Municipality of Konce is a typical rural municipality located in southeastern Macedonia, surrounded by Konecka Mountain and Smrdeshnik and about 150 km from the capital Skopje. It is part of the Radovis region, and is statistically part of the Southeastern Statistical Region. Within the Municipality of Konce, there are 14 villages: Gabrevci, Garvan, Gorna Vrashtica, Gorni Lipovik, Dedino, Dolna Vrashtica, Dolni Lipovik, Dolni Radesh, Zagorci, Konche, Lubnica, Negrenovci, Rakitac, and Skorush. The center of the municipality is the village of Konce.

The municipality borders Stip Municipality to the north, Radovish Municipality and Vasilevo Municipality to the east, Negotino Municipality and Demir Kapija Municipality to the west, and Strumica Municipality and Valandovo Municipality to the south. Mount Serta is just above the village of Konce and, in the south there is the man-made lake Mantovo. The river Kriva Lakavica, a tributary of Bregalnica, runs through the municipality to the village Dolni Lipovikj.

There have been settlements in the region that constitutes the Konce municipality for more than four thousand years. Archaeological research done by the Stip Museum, conducted in the village of Gabrevci uncovered an early prehistoric community from the Bronze Age. Artifacts, ceramics and bronze implements are exhibited at the Museum, dedicated to the Gabrevci excavation.

Konce has its contemporary origins as a Medieval-era religious and administrative seat. The oldest church (14th century) St. Stephen is located in village of Konce. The church and associated monastery were built by Nikola Stajnevik, a Duke of Tsar Dusan and King Uros in 1366. This complex, especially the church in its artistic value, occupies an important place in the history of Macedonian medieval culture. There are still original frescoes on churches walls. Katarina Brankovic (1418/19–1492), the Countess of Celje and daughter of Despot Dzuragj Brankovic and Byzantine princess Irene Kantakouzene, is buried in Konce. She is remembered for the Varazdin Apostol (1454), and her endowment of the Rmanj Monastery.

The main economic activities in Konce are agriculture, stock breeding, water management and forestry in addition to hunting and fishing tourism. Special emphasis has the production of high quality tobacco, Oriental tobacco of the type “Jaka“ with about 1,000,000 kilograms annually, which represents 5 % of the total tobacco production in the country. Most of the tobacco is produced by families on private land and is in turn sold to tobacco companies.

Activities have recently been undertaken to promote Konce and Mantovo Lake as a major tourist center in the region. The pleasant climate with a water temperature of 24ºC in summer is suitable for bathing and practicing water sports, the presence of more species of fish creates (, good prerequisites for sport fishing, and the elongated vertical gravitational rocks near Gabrovska Chuka hill provide good conditions for climbing (Mountaineering paths: “Cukata” with length of 1000m, and “Vlashki Kolibi-Monastery St, Gjorgji” with length of 2000m in the area of Vrashtica). In April 2008 it was announced that a tourist settlement would be built around Mantovo Lake. The project envisioned the construction of individual holiday homes, hotels, trim tracks and sports fields. Within this project, urbanization of an area of ​​23ha has begun. In December 2014, three wooden Vlach cottages were built by the lake as part of a project to promote Vlach cultural heritage in the region of Ser and Konce in the framework of cross-border cooperation with Greece. Although Vlachs do not live in the municipality of Konce, the local authorities called the buildings "Vlach huts" because of the place where they lived and stayed. The cottages are built in old style, made of wood, with a concrete base, and are equipped with a bed, a desk and wooden benches.

Potential types of tourism: trekking tourism, mountaineering, sports fishing, adventure parks, ethno-culture-tourism, rural tourism in the countryside, cultural and historical heritage tourism, religious tourism, monastery tourism, mountain stay etc.

Municipality of Kocani

Due to its favourable geographic location, together with excellent natural climate characteristics, Kocani was inhabited as early as the ancient times first by the Paionians, Meds and Thracians. Later on, in the 6th century the Slavs inhabited parts of the region and built a fortification. The founders of the Slavic education, brothers Kiril and Metodij (Cyril and Methodius), stayed in the valley from the year 845 to 855 and in the Bregalnica area (Morodvis) started to preach Christianity in Slavic language. Although the settlement existed long before that, Kocani was first mentioned in a charter from 1337 in which Despot Jovan Oliver donated the church of St. Dimitrija to Kocani. Archaeological finds in the town itself have revealed remains of a settlement here in the Roman and Byzantine periods. Early in the 15th century it fell under Turkish rule. The travel chronicler Evliya Chelebi, who visited it in 1662, recorded that it had 600 households, a mosque, a masjid, an inn and 15 handicraft stores. During the 18th and in the early 19th century, the town growth rate stagnated. It was only around 1878 that the population began to rise, at which time it had about 450 - 500 households. The town has two feudal residences in the shape of towers believed to date from the 16th - 17th century.

Numerous cultural and historical monuments, from ancient times to the middle ages, can be found in the vicinity of Kocani. One of them is an archeological site of Dolno Gradishte from the late antic period, and two medieval towers at the city center. Monastery complexes in the nearby villages Morodvis and Panteley are world-famous both for their architecture and unique frescoes.

The town has a southern position towards the foothills of the Osogovo Mountains (2252 m). At 8 km. to the south the fertile Kocani valley is closed with the mountain Plachkovica (1754 m), and the altitude of the city land is up to 450 m.

The municipality is consisted of 18 inhabited places; municipality of Kochani which is the administrative center, the villages of the lowlands: Grdovci, Mojanci, Gorni Podlog, Dolni Podlog and Trkanje and the villages of the highlands: Beli, Nivichani, Pantelej, Rajchani, Leski, Crvena Niva, Pashadjikovo, Jastrebnik, Gorno Gratche, Dolno Gratche, Pripor and Polaki.

Rice is a symbol of Kocani. Kocani rice is the first protected product with a designation of origin in Macedonia. Entered (Office for the Protection of Industrial Property in 1999). The designation of origin states that this rice is characterized by a thick, short and broad grain, glassy, ​​with a small floury portion of the cross-section. Kocani rice is produced in the Kocani Valley, between Kocani in the north and Morodvis in the south, with a length of 26 km, with a net arable land of 12205 ha. The manifestation "Days of Kocani rice" is organized during October by promoting the symbol - rice.

Kochani lays on the biggest geothermal reservoir of the Balkan Peninsula. It is certificated as one of world’s biggest not magmatic springs of geothermal water, with total balanced static reserves from 150 million m³, with middle temperature of 75º C. From chemical side the geothermal water is sodium bicarbonate, with pH value from 7, not aggressive in closed system. The presence of Selenium, Fluorine and other elements is in the permissible limits and gives special performances to water for its usage and drinking.

This mountain Osogovo is identified in the indicative card of the Pan - European ecological network of South East Europe as an important ecological corridor for deer game, and it is acknowledged as an important vegetation area. The most attractive part of Osogovo mountains scope is the hunting reservoir rich with high trophy deer: ordinary deer roebucks, mouflon deers and wild boars.

Well known sites to be visited are, ski center Ponikva on Osogovo Mountain, Carev peak, Accumulation Gratche, village Beli with one of the oldest oaks in Europe, Village Polaki, Monastery St. Pantelejmon with the art colony. (Kochani publications, Kochani sites, Tourist capacities, Services and Accommodation, Tourist Agencies)

Potential types of tourism: trekking tourism, mountaineering, sports fishing, ethno-culture-tourism, rural tourism in the countryside, cultural and historical heritage tourism, religious tourism, monastery tourism, and mountain stay etc.

Municipality of Makedonska Kamenica

Municipality of Makedonska Kamenica and the city with same name is in the eastern part of Macedonia. It is located at the foot of the Osogovo Mountains on their southern slope. It is known as a mining area / town. The most famous Macedonian mine for lead and zinc Sasa is in its immediate vicinity. It was declared a city in 2004. The name Kamenica derives from the words Kamena Reka (Stone River - "water flowing into a stone river bed"). For the first time Kamenica is mentioned in Turkish records as a village in period of 1570 - 1573 . The city was founded before 1950, as a settlement for the miners who worked at Sasa mine. At a time when the area was under Serbian rule, mining in the ancient Roman mines was restored. The area was inhabited by the mining tribes of Sassi, who migrated from Hungary and Germany. The name of the Sasa mine is named after them. In the fourteenth century, the area became part of the principality of Konstantin Dejanovic, after his death, it came under Turkish rule. In the second half of the sixteenth century idolatry emerged as a form of resistance because of the favorable mountainous region. From the area of ​​Makedonska Kamenica, the fighting troop of Grandfather Iljo Maleshevski and Rumena Vojvoda are well known .

The main economic activity of the population is mining. Besides the Sasa mine, there are also textile plants and “Zinkarna” in the city. The agriculture represented as collection of various forest fruits, fungi, cutting firewood and furniture industry. The bigger factories in Makedonska Kamenica are: MI-Sasa, Zinkarna, Tamatex, Luka and Textile-M.

FC Sasa, plays in the city, which competes in the regional league, but in the past was part of the first Macedonian football league. The city has a stadium (capacity of 2,000 spectators) and a city park.

Places to visit: monastery-tourist complex "Elenec" in village Cera, with the church “Shroud of the Most Holy Mother of God”. Of particular importance for the city is the annual “Stone Cultural Summer” event, which attracts var ious well-known performers and the activities of the Fishing and Hunting Association.

Potential types of tourism: Mountain Osogovo that is partially in municipal teritory, is suitable for recreational hiking, observation, photography, mountain biking, jeep safari along the numerous mountain roads, paragliding, then winter sports in the high areas and rural tourism in the lower areas.


Municipality of Probishtip

Probistip is located in the southwest corner of the Osogovo Mountains, in northeastern of Macedonia. The region has been well-known since Roman times for its mineral wealth and mining industry, which flourished during Yugoslav times. It has a long tradition of hearty country eating, and is close to both the monastery of Gabriel Lesnovski (dedicated to St.Archangel Michael and St.Gavril Lesnovski) and the stone formations of Kuklica. The mines of Zletovo provide most of the natural materials that are processed in Probistip. The history of Probistip and its vicinity comprises the building and the existence of the Lesnovo Monastery, which is today one of the most important and most valuable monuments of culture in North Macedonia. It is perhaps the best preserved endowment of a Serbian noble of the 14th century, with superb and excellently preserved frescoes. Lesnovo art colony is an event taking place each year.

Zletovska River as the largest river that passes through the territory of the municipality forms its canyon in the mountainous part and its valley in the flat part of the municipality. The nature is specific, with multiple waterfalls, dense and also diverse rare vegetation, with endemic species, diverse animals and birds. (ex: Ratkova Skala rocky canyon)

Potential types of tourism: geo-morphology (specific stone formations), ethno-culture-tourism, rural tourism, cultural and historical heritage tourism, religious tourism, monastery tourism, mountain stay, aqua-park sports, mineralogical collection (collection of minerals, rocks and archaeological remains from mining in the region, for which a new museum is in construction phase) etc.

Municipality of Radovis

Radovis Municipality is located in the eastern part of Macedonia. Radovis is the name of the city where the municipal seat is found. This municipality is part of the Southeastern Statistical Region.

The city of Radovis was mentioned for the first time in 1019 during the reign of the Gramotata of the Byzantium Tsar Vasilie II (which was the name of the city during the middle ages). At this time in history, Radovis is an important center for regional trade, craftsmanship and mining. The name Radovis is connected with the Medieval Duchess "Rada" from Slavic origin, who used to live in the fortress above the city, which remains still exist. During the 14th century Radovis and Konce Municipality came under Serbian Rule, and in 1361, Tsar Uros stayed in Radovis.

During the 19th and 20th centuries Radovis and surrounding regions where influenced by historical events related to the Razlovo, Kresnensko and Ilinden Uprising along with the events related to the Balkan, First and Second World Wars. During Turkish Hegemony in Macedonia in the 16th century, the micro region was populated by a nomadic Turkish population called the Yörüks, an ethnic group that still exists to this day in this part of the world.

There are three Orthodox churches, new one Holy Trinity, old one St.Ilija, and St. King Constantine and Queen Helena from 18th century. There are Orthodox monasteries: St.Archangel Michael, St.Panteleon and St. George. There are also Protestant churches, such as two Methodist churches, a Baptist church and a Jehovah Witnesses Kingdom Hall, and two mosques.

The people in Radovis, especially youngest inhabitants, like sports. Favorite sports are Football, Basketball, Handball, Fishing, etc. Radovis has its own FC Plackovica, HC Radovis, also and Fishing club Carp-Radoviš. "Lebari" are the supporters of the Radoviš sport clubs formed in 1991. Radovis rightly carries the attribute of a sports city. It can be freely called "The metropolis of wrestling in free and Greco-Roman style" in Europe and worldwide, after Radovis favorite club BK "Bucim-Radovis" won the titles "European Club Champion in 1995" and "World Club Champion in 1996". The final competition for those titles as well as for many other tournaments such as "Balkan Championship in Wrestling, Free and Greco-Roman Style" 1991 and "Macedonian Pearl" were held in the Sport Center in Radovis "25 Maj". The new sport center Champion “Shampion” was built in 1999, and consists of: Olympic swimming pool, small swimming pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, table tennis facility, handball court, soccer fields, gym and a restaurant.

The economy of Municipality Radovis: Mining, Building and Construction, Agriculture, Livestock Farming, Business and Trading, Tourism and Hospitality, Banking, Insurance, Health Industry, Crafts, Services, Transportation and traveling agencies.

Existence of "Ethnological Museum" with a valuable "Ethnological Collection" from Radovis area.

The richness of the forest fund, the diversity of flora and fauna, the clean and healthy environment, the configuration of the terrain, the rivers and the artificial reservoirs make the region attractive for recreational-sport, hunting, fishing and village tourism. In this respect, the region's development opportunities are seen primarily in the commercialization of attractive natural resources. The economic impact of natural resources implies the existence of adequate infrastructure, organization and appropriate tourism propaganda. In this regard, significant developmental incentives may arise from new and high quality accommodation, nutrition, various craft and service facilities and shops, sports fields, tourist guides in rural tourism that are part of the enrichment of tourism offer. The development of these specific types of tourism will enable a wider front to operate and market food production (milk, meat, vegetables, fruits, wine, etc.) in attractive hunting-fishing and recreational rural areas. The most appropriate way to handle this activity and its associated activities are small family businesses, professionally run and designed by qualified managers.

There is also a great opportunity for the development of alternative forms of tourism (mountain, spa, rural, archaeological etc.).


Municipality of Cesinovo - Oblesevo

The Municipality Cesinovo-Oblesevo is situated in the lowest plain region of the Kocani field. It covers the area in the middle region along the banks of the river Bregalnica, in the foot of the mountains Osogovo and Plackovica. The Municipality has a centralized position in respect of the bigger municipalities: Kocani, Stip and Probistip. It is connected with Bulgaria via the main motorway Stip-Kocani-Delcevo.

Historical data state that, with the formation of the kingdom SHS (Serbs, Croats and Slovenes) until the World War Two, the seat of the local government of the Serbian administrators was here and later, during World War Two, it was the seat of the Bulgarian village mayors.

The Center for Development of the East Planning Region has a current call for young unemployed people with permanent address in the municipalities within the East Planning Region, who have an entrepreneurial spirit and vision for starting their own business, for developing eco-tourism and promoting East Planning region as a tourist destination.

Municipality of Cheshinovo - Obleshevo is a refuge for many storks in Macedonia. The largest stork nest, measuring 3.2 meters high, has a material of 5 to 7 tons, located on the roof of the Cheshinovo Cooperative House.

Residents of the village of Sokolarci received a completely new urban-equipped Eco-Ethno Park. The park is equipped with urban equipment, info houses, a bird watcher, and other accessories that somehow set the stork as the main landmark of the municipality.

The main agricultural culture is the world-wide known rice. About 70% of the rice production in the Kocani valley is on the territory of the Municipality Cesinovo - Oblesevo. In addition, due to the continuous presence of water, it is possible to breed fish-carp, i.e., there is a potential to get 200-250 kg fish on one hectare.

The Municipality Česinovo-Oblesevo covers a part of the Kocani Valley as well as a part of the slopes of the mountain Plackovica on the east and a part of the slopes of the mountain Osogovo on the west. The most significant attraction is the thermal bath Banja in village Banja.

Potential types of tourism: Hunting, Fishing, Cultural and historic attractions, Thermal bath treatment (Banja), Promenades in the nature, Visits to archeological excavations and local farms (archeological attraction “Pilavo”), Organized offer of traditional food and specific products (frogs, rice specialties), Souvenirs and agricultural products, Walking, picking up forests fruits, visits to natural and historical attractions, mountaineering, typical rural architecture (Vlach village Lepopelci), cheese and kashkaval (yellow cheese) tasting (village Sokolarci).


Municipality of Stip

Located between the heights of the Isar, Merite and Kumlak, along the length of the two banks of the dry ravine Otinja extends the Stip city which is an east Macedonian center and one of the oldest cities in Macedonia. Stip is the center of the East – plan region and borders with seven municipalities.

Between the two rivers, 150 meters high on the rocky hill over the town, the Stip Fortress, or better known as the Isar stands guard. People say that the fortress was built by King Marko, while his sister Maria was building a road and bridge through the canyon so that the people could cross the Bregalnica River. Even though she advised her brother to build things that would be useful to the people instead of a fortress that will exist only during his life time, King Marko was stubborn and built the fortress. The prediction of the clever Maria came true; the fortress was of short duration. For a long time after that, the people spoke of Maria’s good deed, singing a song whenever they passed the road through the canyon that she built, while the fortress of King Marko was soon in ruins.

The Stip Museum was formed in 1950 as a city institution, but in 1955 it was transformed into a regional museum covering neighboring areas. The museum possess many collections in the area of archeology, ethnology, history, art history and modern art. Main activities of the city’s museum in Stip is to explore, discover and preserve historical material, professional protection of archeological material and protection of the city monuments with large historical value. Among other activities, the museum also takes care for church galleries, and reconstruction of the ancient city of Bargala.

One of the oldest settlements in Stip is Novo Selo. Although there is no accurate data for the period of formation of the settlement, so it can be assumed that, as a separate settlement Novo Selo existed before the thirteen century. Here are represented various specific architectural buildings traditional houses and traditional elements.

Old City Clock is monument of culture from 17-th century. It is under state protection. Citizens recognize city clock as “Begova kula” or Tower of the Turkish ruler (beg). According some historical material, the clock was built by a Turkish ruler (beg) that lived in the city, due to the big love for the beautiful girl Anka and with this monument to show her his love so she to marry him.

The Husa Medin Pasha Mosque was built on a hill in the left side of the town. It is known as the church of St. Ilija, because it is believed to have been built on the foundations of an ancient Christian religious place.

According to the legend, Husamedin Mehmed Pasha built the mosque in the 17-th Century on the foundations of a church from the 13-th or 14-th Century that was dedicated to St. Ilija. Next to the mosque is the grave of Husa Medin Pasha.

Among the buildings in the central part of the town of Stip, there is a building outstanding with its architecture, typical for the Medieval Islamic trade centers. It is the Bezisten (Turkish word for market place). The time of its construction cannot be precisely determined. The Bezisten was used as the main market place where trade and selling of various goods was going on during the time of the Turkish rule in these areas. Considering this, it is suppose that this building dates from 16-th or 17-th Century. It was burned down during the war between Austria and Turkey. The Bezisten in Stip has a stone construction with a rectangular basis that is divided into three separate rooms covered with vaults with massive domes rising above them. There are glass holes on them that allow for the daylight to penetrate the interior space and contribute to the noble ambient of the Bezisten. Today, the Bezisten is used as an exhibition space of the art gallery.

Stip remains as national treasure because of its museum value. On the way to city, Spa Kezovica, many of the houses in traditional old Macedonian architecture can be seen. Together with the icons gallery, it is a place with large capacity for spiritual venture. It is unforgettable and eternal city of Stip.

Stip food menu and wine paths are also part of the tourism development strategy of Stip Municipality.

Potential types of tourism: ethno-culture-tourism, rural tourism, cultural and historical heritage tourism, religious tourism, monastery tourism, thermal bath-spa treatment, mineralogical collection etc.

Additional material available: Stip Tourist info and Stip Tourist Guide


Contact ALKA

Center for Sustainable Development ALKA
Bul. Partizanski Odredi No. 62 1/16,
1000 Skopje, North Macedonia
Email: alka@alka.org.mk
Phone: +389 (0)2 3214 505
Sub-Project Facebook  
ALKA Facebook

Contact DeSo

Development Solutions (DeSo)
St. Sava Kovacevikj 27a,
1000 Skopje, North Macedonia
Email: office@deso.mk
WEB:  www.deso.mk
Phone/fax: +389 (0)2 32 32 290
Phone: +389 (0)2 32 31 345
FB: DeSo Facebook

Local and Regional Competitiveness Project: This project is funded by the European Union.

This website was created and maintained with the financial support of the European Union. Its contents are the sole responsibility of the Center for Sustainable Development ALKA and DeSo, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.